Article 370 is Constitution`s integral part, can`t be amended: Soz
Jammu: Claiming Article 370 is an "integral part of the Constitution" and it cannot be amended, J&K state Congress chief Saifuddin Soz on Monday challenged Narendra Modi to participate in a one-on-one debate with him on the issue.
"I challenge Modi to come and debate one-on-one with me on Article 370 after reading the constitutional history of India... Article 370 is an integral part of the Constitution of India... Neither Parliament nor any authority including the President can change it," Soz said at a press conference here.
"BJP has committed a mistake by choosing Gujarat Chief Minister Modi as its prime ministerial candidate, who believes in propaganda and gives facts which are not historically correct," he said.
"Modi is modern India`s greatest propagandist. He is behaving like (Henry) Goebel of Germany, but today there is no place for Gobels," he said.
"Modi should know that during the NDA`s six-year rule Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani and others did think that Article 370 cannot be abrogated," he said, adding that "...Sardar Patel proposed Article 370 to Parliament."
On the women`s inheritance issue, Soz said, "The Congress party`s position is clear that girls marrying outside the state will inherit the property and we did not allow amendment to an Act to deprive them of their right."
"Modi is wrong... Sara (Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s sister) will inherit property as much as is possible within the family, but it cannot be transferred to her husband as he cannot become the domicile of the state," he added.
Modi, at a rally in Jammu yesterday, had cited the example of Omar and his sister Sara`s marriage outside the state to suggest that women did not have the same rights as men in J-K unlike in other parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe