Attempt on life of J&K minister, one cop killed
Srinagar: Militants on Sunday night made an
attempt on the life of Jammu and Kashmir minister and National
Conference leader Ali Mohammed Sagar in downtown Srinagar
attacking his motorcade in which one security officer was killed
and three others injured.
This is the first incident in recent years where a
political figure has been targeted by militants in the
downtown area itself.
The incident occurred at around 2015 hours at
Nawakadal area when Sagar was just entering his residence.
Unidentified militants fired at the car convoy of the law
minister who managed to crawl to safety, official sources
The incident left three policemen and one civilian
injured, the sources said, adding one policeman later
succumbed to injuries.
When contacted, Sagar said, "Thanks to Almighty that
I am safe. However, it`s very sad that one of my police man
died in this unfortunate incident."
Sagar, one of the senior National Conference leaders,
is an MLA from downtown Khanyar locality and has been on the
radar of militants for long.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and Minister of State for
Home Nasir Sogami condemned the incident and directed the
state police to ensure speedy investigation to bring the
culprits to book.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!