Biting cold conditions prevail in Kashmir
Srinagar: Kashmir Valley continued to reel under intense cold with night temperatures hovering several degrees below freezing point, giving residents a tough time.
The minimum temperature recorded in the summer capital Srinagar was minus 4.9 degrees Celsius, down by 0.3 notches from yesterday?s minus of 4.6 degree Celsius, a spokesman of the MET office said.
Kargil town in frontier region of Ladakh was the coldest place in the state with a low of minus 16.4 degrees Celsius, a degree warm than yesterday’s minus 17.4 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said, adding the nearby Leh town followed closely with a minimum temperature of minus 14.2 degrees Celsius, up from yesterday’s minus 18.0 degree Celsius.
He said the minimum temperature in the famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir plunged further to minus 9.8 degree Celsius from yesterday`s minus 9.0.
The spokesman said the night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south, which also serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra, dropped slightly to minus 8.2 degrees Celsius from yesterday`s 8.0 degrees Celsius.
The highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a low of minus 5.8 degrees Celsius, while the night temperature in Kokernag was minus 4.1 degrees Celsius and in north Kashmir’s Kupwara town the minimum settled at minus 5.4 degrees Celsius.
With temperatures remaining below the freezing point, the fringes of famous Dal Lake and other water bodies in Srinagar have seen a thin cover of ice during the night.
The MET Department said there is a possibility of rainfall or snowfall on 12th and 13th January, especially in the higher reaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections