BJP for public debate over Article 370 in J&K
Jammu: BJP on Thursday accused Chief Minister Omar Abdullah of playing to the gallery by raising the issue of Article 370 during the Pir Panjal tunnel inauguration ceremony in Banihal.
Insisting that the Chief Minister was factually incorrect in saying that BJP takes up the issue of Article 370 only close to elections, BJP national executive member and state chief spokesperson Jitendra Singh said, "It is the other way round."
"While BJP has consistently fought for abrogation of Article 370 for over 60 years, National Conference raises the bogey of so called autonomy only close to elections or when it is out of power," he alleged.
"BJP does not follow the policy of opportunism like NC, nor does it seek votes by resorting to separatist jargon," Singh said.
People of Jammu and Kashmir have now understood this "trick" and can no longer be fooled by such rhetoric, he said.
Insisting that Article 370 has done more harm than good to the people of the state, the BJP leader said, "We are ready for an open debate with facts, figures and evidence to prove that Article 370 has done more harm than good to the people of the state including those of Kashmir Valley."
"It has deprived the state of industrial investments, denied the youth of potential job opportunities and also denied protection or reservation to some sections of society," Singh contested.
He added that the Chief Minister`s utterances in the past two days have only "exposed his insecurity" in the wake of his party`s declining popularity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared