BJP for public debate over Article 370 in J&K
Jammu: BJP on Thursday accused Chief Minister Omar Abdullah of playing to the gallery by raising the issue of Article 370 during the Pir Panjal tunnel inauguration ceremony in Banihal.
Insisting that the Chief Minister was factually incorrect in saying that BJP takes up the issue of Article 370 only close to elections, BJP national executive member and state chief spokesperson Jitendra Singh said, "It is the other way round."
"While BJP has consistently fought for abrogation of Article 370 for over 60 years, National Conference raises the bogey of so called autonomy only close to elections or when it is out of power," he alleged.
"BJP does not follow the policy of opportunism like NC, nor does it seek votes by resorting to separatist jargon," Singh said.
People of Jammu and Kashmir have now understood this "trick" and can no longer be fooled by such rhetoric, he said.
Insisting that Article 370 has done more harm than good to the people of the state, the BJP leader said, "We are ready for an open debate with facts, figures and evidence to prove that Article 370 has done more harm than good to the people of the state including those of Kashmir Valley."
"It has deprived the state of industrial investments, denied the youth of potential job opportunities and also denied protection or reservation to some sections of society," Singh contested.
He added that the Chief Minister`s utterances in the past two days have only "exposed his insecurity" in the wake of his party`s declining popularity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi