BJP for public debate over Article 370 in J&K
Jammu: BJP on Thursday accused Chief Minister Omar Abdullah of playing to the gallery by raising the issue of Article 370 during the Pir Panjal tunnel inauguration ceremony in Banihal.
Insisting that the Chief Minister was factually incorrect in saying that BJP takes up the issue of Article 370 only close to elections, BJP national executive member and state chief spokesperson Jitendra Singh said, "It is the other way round."
"While BJP has consistently fought for abrogation of Article 370 for over 60 years, National Conference raises the bogey of so called autonomy only close to elections or when it is out of power," he alleged.
"BJP does not follow the policy of opportunism like NC, nor does it seek votes by resorting to separatist jargon," Singh said.
People of Jammu and Kashmir have now understood this "trick" and can no longer be fooled by such rhetoric, he said.
Insisting that Article 370 has done more harm than good to the people of the state, the BJP leader said, "We are ready for an open debate with facts, figures and evidence to prove that Article 370 has done more harm than good to the people of the state including those of Kashmir Valley."
"It has deprived the state of industrial investments, denied the youth of potential job opportunities and also denied protection or reservation to some sections of society," Singh contested.
He added that the Chief Minister`s utterances in the past two days have only "exposed his insecurity" in the wake of his party`s declining popularity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?