BJP supports Sangma to address aspiration of tribals: Irani
Jammu: BJP leader Smriti Irani on Friday said that her party supports the candidature of P A Sangma for the Presidential election to give a boost to the aspirations of the tribals and the Northeast region.
"BJP has supported the candidature of the tribal leader from Northeast P Sangma in order to provide equal opportunities to the region and tribal people...," Irani told reporters here.
"We does not believe in slogans and statement like Congress, which claims that they well wishers of poor and tribal people of the country...," she said.
People from the Northeast have always raised the issue with the party that they are not given equal opportunities when it comes to power, the Rajya Sabha member said.
The BJP by supporting Sangma has tried to clear this misconception of people from the region, she said.
Asked about the Prime Ministerial candidate of the NDA, Irani said that BJP will inform NDA allies once it decides on its candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages
- PE inflows in real estate up 33% at Rs 5,193 crore in January-June
- WATCH: Chandrababu Naidu plays badminton with PV Sindhu on stage during felicitation ceremony