BJP supports Sangma to address aspiration of tribals: Irani
Jammu: BJP leader Smriti Irani on Friday said that her party supports the candidature of P A Sangma for the Presidential election to give a boost to the aspirations of the tribals and the Northeast region.
"BJP has supported the candidature of the tribal leader from Northeast P Sangma in order to provide equal opportunities to the region and tribal people...," Irani told reporters here.
"We does not believe in slogans and statement like Congress, which claims that they well wishers of poor and tribal people of the country...," she said.
People from the Northeast have always raised the issue with the party that they are not given equal opportunities when it comes to power, the Rajya Sabha member said.
The BJP by supporting Sangma has tried to clear this misconception of people from the region, she said.
Asked about the Prime Ministerial candidate of the NDA, Irani said that BJP will inform NDA allies once it decides on its candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees