BJP supports Sangma to address aspiration of tribals: Irani
Jammu: BJP leader Smriti Irani on Friday said that her party supports the candidature of P A Sangma for the Presidential election to give a boost to the aspirations of the tribals and the Northeast region.
"BJP has supported the candidature of the tribal leader from Northeast P Sangma in order to provide equal opportunities to the region and tribal people...," Irani told reporters here.
"We does not believe in slogans and statement like Congress, which claims that they well wishers of poor and tribal people of the country...," she said.
People from the Northeast have always raised the issue with the party that they are not given equal opportunities when it comes to power, the Rajya Sabha member said.
The BJP by supporting Sangma has tried to clear this misconception of people from the region, she said.
Asked about the Prime Ministerial candidate of the NDA, Irani said that BJP will inform NDA allies once it decides on its candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh clashes in Kashmir; one youth killed in firing, death toll rises to 45
- Meher Malik is driving internet crazy with her terrific belly moves on 'Game of Thrones' theme song!- Watch
- Axis Bank Q1 profit dips 21% at Rs 1,556 crore
- France to supply artillery to Iraqi Army: Hollande
- Hindalco's 2015-16 net profit plunges 95% to Rs 44.8 crore