BJP to make fresh assessment of Kashmir situation
Jammu: A study group of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) arrived here on Monday to make a fresh assessment of the situation in Jammu and Kashmir.
The group is led by the party`s former president Rajnath Singh.
Talking to media, Rajnath Singh said: "We have come to understand the situation which has come about in the past one-and-a-half years. Jammu and Kashmir has not shown any signs of recurrence of violence and clashes in the past 20 months."
The BJP leader said that the idea behind their study was to "apprise ourselves" of the latest situation, so that the party can work accordingly. "This, however, doesn`t mean that there is any change in our original position," Singh said.
The study group was constituted by the BJP last year, after interlocutors on Kashmir - journalist Dileep Padgaonkar, academician Radha Kumar and former information commissioner - started interacting with the people of the state.
Rajnath Singh said that the interlocutors` report on Kashmir was "nothing but a repeat of old things. Therefore, there is nothing much to comment upon."
"This report should have been made public when Parliament was in session. The timings of the release of the report makes us suspicious of the whole thing," Singh said.
The group will visit Rajouri and also the Kashmir Valley, during its current visit to the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’