Cold conditions return to Kashmir
Srinagar: Cold conditions returned to Jammu and Kashmir after a day of respite as the night temperatures in most parts of the state fell by several degrees with the mercury in Srinagar settling below the freezing point.
Srinagar recorded a minimum temperature of minus 1.6 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s 0.4 degrees Celsius, a MeT Department official said here.
The night temperature in Srinagar had settled above the freezing point the previous night for the first time in the past week giving residents some relief.
Leh, in Ladakh region, continues to be the coldest place in the state as the town shivered at minus 10.8 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 8.9 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The night temperature in the nearby Kargil town also fell by over two degrees and the mercury settled at a low of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius as against the previous night?s minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, he said.
The minimum temperature in Pahalgam, a health resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, settled at minus 3.7 degrees Celsius, down from the previous night minus 2.4 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 0.4 as compared to last night’s 0.4 degrees Celsius.
The minimum temperature in Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, settled at a low of minus 1.9 degree Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 0.6 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The night temperature in the south Kashmir town of Kokernag registered a low of 1.3 degree Celsius, he said.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 2.7 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 3.0 degrees Celsius, he said.
The MeT Department has forecast mainly dry weather across Kashmir division over the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off