Cold wave conditions continue unabated in Kashmir
Srinagar: Cold wave conditions continued unabated in Kashmir Valley as the capital city recorded a further drop in minimum temperature, registering the coldest night of the season so far.
The minimum temperature in Srinagar settled at -4.3 degrees Celsius last night, compared to -3.8 degrees Celsius the previous night, making it the coldest night of the season, an official at the MeT department said.
The night temperature in the city has been registering a downward trend for a week now and it recorded the season`s lowest temperature for the fifth consecutive night.
Leh continues to be the coldest recorded place in the state with a low of -13.8 degrees Celsius, the official said.
Though night temperatures in other places in the Valley improved slightly, the cold wave conditions have resulted in most of the water bodies, including Dal Lake, freezing. Many drains and drinking water taps also froze due to the weather.
The ski-resort of Gulmarg, which received light snowfall on Wednesday, recorded the same night temperature as the previous night at -0.2 degrees Celsius.
Pahalgam, a tourist resort in south Kashmir which also serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, recorded temperature a notch higher as the mercury settled at a low of -4.8 degrees Celsius against previous night`s -5.8 degrees Celsius, the official said.
Qazigiund, the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a minimum of -4.3 degrees Celsius, compared to previous night`s -4.8 degrees Celsius, he said.
Kupwara town in north Kashmir recorded a low of -4.7 degrees Celsius against -5.0 degrees Celsius the previous night, he said, adding that the mercury settled at a low of -3.6 degrees Celsius in Kokernag in south Kashmir, as compared to the previous night`s -4.9 degrees Celsius.
The night temperature in Kargil town registered a low of -10.0 degrees Celsius as against previous night`s -10.3 degrees Celsius.
There would not be any major change in the weather in Kashmir Valley, the MeT has said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre