Cold wave grips Jammu & Kashmir
Srinagar: Cold wave conditions persisted in most parts of Jammu and Kashmir where Leh in frontier region of Ladakh continued to be the coldest recorded place with a low of -10.0 degrees Celsius.
There was no relief from the cold weather as skies stayed dry and clear with MeT office predicting no change in the weather during the next 24 hours.
Leh recorded a night temperature of -9.9 degrees Celsius the previous night and was followed by nearby Kargil town where the minimum temperature settled at -5.4 degrees Celsius, an official of the MET department said.
Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region are in the grip of intense cold since the beginning of this month following early snowfall in the high altitude areas.
Summer capital Srinagar recorded a low of -1.8 degrees Celsius compared to -1.3 the previous night, the spokesman said.
The night temperature in Pahalgam, a tourist resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, settled at a low of -2.4 degrees Celsius compared to the previous night`s -2.6 degrees Celsius.
The official said the famous ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of -0.8 degree Celsius, as against last night`s -0.6 degree Celsius.
He said the minimum temperature in Kupwara, in north Kashmir, dipped to a low of -2.3 degrees Celsius, while Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir - recorded a low of -2.4 degrees Celsius.
He said the south Kashmir town of Kokernag was the only recorded place in the Valley where the night temperature stayed above the freezing point for the third day at 0.9 degrees Celsius. Kokernag recorded a minimum temperature of 2.4 degrees Celsius on Tuesday and 1.6 degrees Celsius yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement