Kashmir saffron output expected to increase by 10 per cent
Srinagar: Kashmiri Saffron, famous for its fine quality around the world, is set to register an increase of 10 per cent in the yield this year due to the National Saffron Mission (NSM) scheme introduced by the Centre.
"We are hopeful of an increased yield of 11 metric tonnes this year as against 10 metric tonnes the previous year," Chief Agricultural Officer, Pulwama and nodal officer NSM G H Guroo said.
Guroo said the department was earlier expecting an 20 per cent increase in the saffron production this year but "physiological disorder" in August had an impact on the `golden crop`, leading to the decreased yield.
"We were expecting the yield to cross 12 metric tonnes but there was a physiological disorder in August...There was unfavourable weather as a result of which we could not achieve the expected target," he said.
Pampore township of Pulwama district is the largest producer of saffron in the country with 80 per cent of area under the cultivation of the crop and is referred to as `Golden Bowl` of Kashmir.
Guroo attributed the increase in the saffron production to the Central government`s ambitious National Saffron Mission, launched in 2010 under which Rs 373 crore was earmarked to be spent on the development and improvement of the crop till 2014.
"As much as 1800 hectares of land have been brought under the scheme in Pampore alone and an amount of Rs 47 crore have been spent to rejuvenate the fields to increase the production," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez