Crib deaths: J&K MLA seeks medical edu minister`s resignation
Srinagar: An independent MLA in Jammu and Kashmir has sought resignation of the state medical education minister and an apology from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to the families whose children died at the Valley`s only pediatrics hospital.
"The Medical Education Minister RS Chib should immediately resign on moral grounds. It is shocking to learn that Javed Choudhry was made the Medical Superintendent of such an important hospital despite having graft charges against him," MLA Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid said in a statement here.
He said the Chief Minister cannot absolve himself of the responsibility by putting the blame on the Medical Education Minister for having appointed Choudhry as the head of the hospital.
"The Chief Minister cannot save his skin by shifting the responsibility. In fact, he (Omar) is responsible for all good or bad done by his entire government," the legislator said.
Rashid said Omar should apologise to all those who lost their children in the G B Pant hospital.
A one-man inquiry commission of Dr Showkat Zargar, Director SKIMS hospital, has indicted the hospital administration for high infant mortality rate. Over 500 infants died at the hospital in the first six months of this year.
He also called for stern action against the guilty. "The Chief Minister needs to take an urgent and a stern action not only against those who have been indicted by the probe committee but against the minister who has committed a crime by posting a corrupt man at a very crucial position," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note