Crib deaths: J&K MLA seeks medical edu minister`s resignation
Srinagar: An independent MLA in Jammu and Kashmir has sought resignation of the state medical education minister and an apology from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to the families whose children died at the Valley`s only pediatrics hospital.
"The Medical Education Minister RS Chib should immediately resign on moral grounds. It is shocking to learn that Javed Choudhry was made the Medical Superintendent of such an important hospital despite having graft charges against him," MLA Langate Sheikh Abdul Rashid said in a statement here.
He said the Chief Minister cannot absolve himself of the responsibility by putting the blame on the Medical Education Minister for having appointed Choudhry as the head of the hospital.
"The Chief Minister cannot save his skin by shifting the responsibility. In fact, he (Omar) is responsible for all good or bad done by his entire government," the legislator said.
Rashid said Omar should apologise to all those who lost their children in the G B Pant hospital.
A one-man inquiry commission of Dr Showkat Zargar, Director SKIMS hospital, has indicted the hospital administration for high infant mortality rate. Over 500 infants died at the hospital in the first six months of this year.
He also called for stern action against the guilty. "The Chief Minister needs to take an urgent and a stern action not only against those who have been indicted by the probe committee but against the minister who has committed a crime by posting a corrupt man at a very crucial position," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'