Curfew remains in force in Shopian
Srinagar: Curfew continued for third day on Tuesday in parts of Shopian district in south Kashmir following killing of four persons in a firing incident on Saturday, police said.
"Curfew remains in force in parts of Shopian district as a precautionary measure," a police spokesman said.
He said the prohibitory orders have, however, been lifted from Zainapora police station area in Shopian district while curfew was lifted yesterday from nearby Kulgam town following improvement in law and order situation.
Curfew was imposed in police station areas of Shopian, Zainapora and Kulgam as a precautionary measure yesterday after four persons were killed in a firing by CRPF personnel following an attack on their camp by militants on Saturday.
Police and paramilitary CRPF were deployed in strength in the two districts to maintain law and order.
Violent protests were witnessed in Shopian town and adjoining areas after the firing incident.
Police has admitted that three of the persons killed in CRPF firing were civilians while the fourth was a Pakistani militant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why