Four Pakistani militants, jawan killed in Rajouri
Jammu: Four Pakistani militants belonging to Lashkar-e Toiba and a soldier were killed in a gunbattle in Rajouri on Friday, taking the number of ultras killed this week in the district to 16.
The militants were believed to be part of a group that infiltrated from across the border in Akhnoor on March 23.
Acting on a tip off about the movement of militants in Kanthole Gundi-Darrutelna in Kalakote, 130 km from here, police assisted by Rashtriya Rifle and CRPF personnel launched a cordon operation.
An encounter soon broke out around 0830 hrs. Four Lasker-e-Toiba militants and a jawan were killed in the gunbattle, Brigadier General Staff, 16 Corps, Gurdeep Singh said.
16 Lashkar-e-Toiba militants and five jawans have been killed in the past one week in Rajouri district.
Six LeT militants of Pakistani origin, who had escaped from Triyath forest after a brief encounter three days ago, were killed by security forces in Rajouri yesterday.
A search team of police assisted by army, special operation group (SoG) and CRPF tracked down the militants who had escaped from Triyath forest on March 30 following a brief encounter with the security personnel.
A jawan was killed and Station House Officer of Daramshal Police Station Inspector Showkat Ali was injured in that incident.
Two militants of this group were killed in Dharamshal area on Saturday last while four were killed in Kandi Bhudal belt of the district on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed