IAF airlifts over 100 stranded passengers in J&K
Srinagar: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Monday airlifted more than 100 stranded passengers in three sorties between Srinagar and Kargil, an official spokesman said.
"As many as 106 stranded passengers were airlifted in three sorties of AN-32 aircraft," he said.
"Sixty-seven were airlifted from Kargil to Srinagar in two sorties and 39 from Srinagar to Kargil in another sortie," the spokesman said.
Subject to weather, two sorties of AN-32 had been planned between Kargil and Jammu tomorrow, he said.
The IAF had airlifted hundreds of stranded passangers from snow-bound Kargil in frontier region of Ladakh after the closure of 434-km Srinagar-Leh national highway -- the only road linking the cold desert with rest of the state.
The IAF had also helped the state administration in airlifting stranded passengers from snow-bound Gurez which like Kargil usually remains cut-off from rest of the state during winter owing to heavy snowfall.
The spokesman said the administration had asked the stranded passengers of Gurez, who have purchased air tickets, to contact Additional Deputy Commissioner, Bandipora, and Sub-District Magistrate, Gurez, so that they can be airlifted between Bandipora and Dawar in Mi-17 helicopters tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble