Infiltration attempts will be foiled: Army commander
Poonch (Jammu and Kashmir): A senior Army commander has said all infiltration attempts by militants from across the border will be foiled.
Speaking on the occasion of `Link up Day`, Major General VP Singh, General Officer Commanding of the 25 Division of the Indian Army, said, "As I have already said that our enemies will try to infiltrate in our area but I assure you that we won`t allow them to enter, all their attempts will be foiled."
His comments came as intelligence sources informed that militants from across the border were using all possible means to infiltrate into India before the fall of winter as snow blocks the mountain passes.
Commenting on this, Major General Singh said, "According to our information, around 270 militants are out in their launch pads, but they will remain there, they won`t come out."
Meanwhile, 16 Corps commander Lt Gen DS Hooda said, "They (militants) will surely try to enter (India), but we are ready for them. As winters will approach, they will surely try to cross the border, as during the snowfall, their focus shifts towards the valleys of Poonch and Rajouri, but we are ready this time."
Tensions have been prevailing between India and Pakistan after regular violations of 2003 ceasefire agreement by Pakistan in Kashmir since August this year.
In October, around 30 to 40 heavily armed fighters had crossed the Line of Control (LoC) in the Keran Sector and holed up for nearly nine days in thick forests skirting the area.
The Kashmir region has witnessed numerous militant attacks, insurgency and infiltration attempts from across the border in the last two decades.
`Link up Day` is celebrated as Poonch district was linked with India after the gap of a year in 1948 after the partition of the Indian subcontinent 1947.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's 'workout tips' will give you major 'Baar Baar Dekho' feels! Pic inside
- PM inaugurates Stor Palace, says Indians will always be with Afghanistan
- Bangladesh PM Hasina accuses BNP of being behind 2014 grenade attack
- Trains delayed after wire snaps on Delhi-Saharanpur route
- Renault Kwid 1.0-litre launched in India at starting price of Rs 3.82 lakh