Jammu-Srinagar highway open only to light vehicles
Jammu: Only light motor vehicles would be allowed to move on the Jammu-Srinagar highway Sunday because a portion of it caved in, traffic authorities said.
A portion of the road in Chenani area of Jammu region caved in Saturday. The damaged area has been restored for light vehicular traffic, a senior traffic official said.
He said that no heavy vehicle will be allowed to move on the highway Sunday till the damaged stretch is completely restored for all sorts of vehicular traffic.
The officer said only one-way traffic would be allowed, and that too only for light motor vehicles Sunday.
Over 300-km long highway, the landlocked Kashmir Valley`s only surface link with the rest of the country, remained closed for three days last week because of heavy snowfall in Patnitop and Banihal sectors of the road.
The highway was thrown open for one-way traffic on Thursday.
All supplies of essential items, including petrol, diesel, kerosene oil, cooking gas, mutton, poultry, vegetables and medicines are brought to Kashmir along this road.
The closure of the highway, especially during the winter, leads to hoarding and black marketing of essential commodities in Kashmir. Prices also often skyrocket during the spells when the highway remains closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report