Jammu-Srinagar highway open only to light vehicles
Jammu: Only light motor vehicles would be allowed to move on the Jammu-Srinagar highway Sunday because a portion of it caved in, traffic authorities said.
A portion of the road in Chenani area of Jammu region caved in Saturday. The damaged area has been restored for light vehicular traffic, a senior traffic official said.
He said that no heavy vehicle will be allowed to move on the highway Sunday till the damaged stretch is completely restored for all sorts of vehicular traffic.
The officer said only one-way traffic would be allowed, and that too only for light motor vehicles Sunday.
Over 300-km long highway, the landlocked Kashmir Valley`s only surface link with the rest of the country, remained closed for three days last week because of heavy snowfall in Patnitop and Banihal sectors of the road.
The highway was thrown open for one-way traffic on Thursday.
All supplies of essential items, including petrol, diesel, kerosene oil, cooking gas, mutton, poultry, vegetables and medicines are brought to Kashmir along this road.
The closure of the highway, especially during the winter, leads to hoarding and black marketing of essential commodities in Kashmir. Prices also often skyrocket during the spells when the highway remains closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- India gives marching orders to three Chinese scribes to leave country by July 31 - Know why
- Want to make your loved one's birthday special? Watch how to make handmade cards!
- 2016 Rio setback for India: Olympics shooter down in Lausanne
- 225 killed or missing in China rains; protests break out
- Police pressuring woman to give false statement against Amanantullah Khan: AAP