J&K: Committee to probe land grab charges against Mohiuddin
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council on Tuesday ordered to form a House Committee to investigate the allegations of grabbing of forest land by a state minister Taj Mohiuddin.
"There is a strong prima facie case that warrants a thorough and detailed investigation by a Committee of this House," chairman Amrit Malhotra said in a three-page order.
Murtaza Khan of PDP has been made chairman of the committee while Syed Mohammad Rafiq Shah, Khalid Najeeb Suharwardy and Bashir Ahmad Magray are its members.
Shah is the member who had made allegations of land grabbing.
The committee has been asked to submit a report by or before the budget session of the House.
During the recent Assembly session, government, in response to Shah`s question, had said there was no land under illegal occupation of any sitting minister in the state.
Shah, however, had contested the stand and handed over documents to the chairman in support of his allegations that some forest land in Shopian district was illegally occupied by Mohiuddin.
The minister, who appeared in the house same day, said he would resign if it the allegations were proved correct.
Malhotra said he "carefully" went through the documents submitted by both sides in support of their stand on the matter.
He pointed out many discrepancies in the report on the matter submitted by then Tehsildar (revenue official) of Shopian on the matter and even hinted that some of the documents might have been tampered with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list