J&K: Committee to probe land grab charges against Mohiuddin
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Council on Tuesday ordered to form a House Committee to investigate the allegations of grabbing of forest land by a state minister Taj Mohiuddin.
"There is a strong prima facie case that warrants a thorough and detailed investigation by a Committee of this House," chairman Amrit Malhotra said in a three-page order.
Murtaza Khan of PDP has been made chairman of the committee while Syed Mohammad Rafiq Shah, Khalid Najeeb Suharwardy and Bashir Ahmad Magray are its members.
Shah is the member who had made allegations of land grabbing.
The committee has been asked to submit a report by or before the budget session of the House.
During the recent Assembly session, government, in response to Shah`s question, had said there was no land under illegal occupation of any sitting minister in the state.
Shah, however, had contested the stand and handed over documents to the chairman in support of his allegations that some forest land in Shopian district was illegally occupied by Mohiuddin.
The minister, who appeared in the house same day, said he would resign if it the allegations were proved correct.
Malhotra said he "carefully" went through the documents submitted by both sides in support of their stand on the matter.
He pointed out many discrepancies in the report on the matter submitted by then Tehsildar (revenue official) of Shopian on the matter and even hinted that some of the documents might have been tampered with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand