J&K govt denounces anti-Islam film; appeals for calm
Srinagar: Condemning the anti-Islam film, that triggered protests across several countries, the Jammu and Kashmir government on Wednesday said it was an attempt to wedge apart different sections of the society and create hatred.
"The state Cabinet which met here today under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has condemned the production and telecast of blasphemous film on holy Prophet, describing it an attempt to hurt the sentiments of people and disturb international peace," a spokesman of the state government said.
Sharing the sentiments and concern of the people of Jammu and Kashmir over the film released by an extremist and made available on the Internet, the state Cabinet observed the act as provocative, unethical and against the religious and human sentiments, the spokesman said.
The fringe elements behind this blasphemous work possess only motive to wedge apart different sections of the society and create hatred, the government said.
"People should see through the designs of such elements and remain calm while expressing their anger," it added.
The chief minster, expressing serious concern over such attempts by vested interests, said such acts should be denounced and condemned by all.
"We share the feelings and grief of the people and condemn the act vehemently," he said appealing the people to maintain calm and not to get provoked as the people behind this act want to create disturbance.
Kashmir observed a general strike, and peaceful protests were held at many places across the Valley yesterday against the video.
However, there were stray incidents of stone-pelting in the city while a group of protesters set ablaze a government vehicle near Pologround.
There were no reports of anyone getting injured in these incidents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie