J&K parties demand probe into role of Ghulam Mir
Srinagar: Political temperature in Jammu and Kashmir rose on Friday with parties demanding a thorough probe into the role of state minister Ghulam Hasaan Mir, who figured in reports of having allegedly received funds from a unit set up by former Army chief Gen VK Singh to topple the Omar Abdullah government.
While Mir, at present Agriculture Minister in the Omar Government, termed these reports as "blatant lies", members of ruling National Conference including Ali Mohammed Sagar, CPI and CPM demanded a thorough probe as they termed it as an attack on democratic institutions.
According to a media report, a secret enquiry report into the functioning of the Technical Services Division (TSD) of the Army found that Rs 1.19 crore was allegedly taken from secret service funds to be paid to Mir to engineer a change of government in Jammu and Kashmir.
TSD, an intelligence unit, was established during the tenure of Gen Singh. The report also alleged that money had been paid for setting up of a NGO to stall the appointment of present incumbent Gen Bikram Singh as the Army Chief.
"I have nothing to do with it. It is a blatant lie," Mir, an independent MLA from Tangmarg, told a news agency when asked about his comments on the issue.
He said the controversy stems from internal rivalry and his name is being dragged unnecessarily.
"I have worked for the stability of the state and the government all along. In 2010, I put in every effort to ensure that the present government remains stable," Mir said.
Senior National Conference leader and Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar said if true, it is shocking that a minister was conspiring against the government even when he was a part of it.
"It is shocking that a minister was conspiring against the government even when he was a part of it. If it is true, there should be a thorough probe into the matter," Sagar told reporters.
State CPM leader Mohammed Yusuf Tarigami also demanded a probe into the reports and said, "The people of Jammu and Kashmir have the right to know the truth."
Another National Conference leader Mustafa Kamal said the former Army chief`s action was an attack on the democratic credentials of the country.
"It’s an attack on our democratic credentials and lofty ideas," Kamal said and alleged that Gen Singh`s mindset was "communal".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22