J&K police sub-inspector detained over Ramban firi
Jammu: An officer of Jammu and Kashmir police has been detained in connection with the recent firing incident in Ramban district in which four persons were killed and 42 others injured.
Sub-inspector Afzal Wani was on Monday taken into custody by J&K police on the basis of a case registered in Gool police station over the July 18 incident involving an attack by a mob on a BSF camp, said Ramban SSP Javaid Ahmed Muttoo.
Afzal, a resident of Gool belt of Ramban, was the in-charge of the Sangaldan police post in the district.
Police had on July 19 registered an FIR under Section 302 (murder) of the Ranbir Penal Code against Wani after a complaint from locals.
Two more FIRs dealing with charges of hurting religious sentiments/trespassing and attempt to murder have been registered against law and order and security personnel by the people of Gool.
"Notices have been issued to BSF to send their nominal roll and... (make their men available) for questioning by the Special Investigation Team," the SSP said.
Police want a list of BSF personnel deployed on patrolling duty and at the camp during the firing.
Mohd Latif, a resident of Dalwah, had allegedly instigated the mob into attacking the camp by blaming security forces of having desecrated the holy Quran.
Latif`s allegations had come after he was intercepted and questioned by a BSF patrolling party in the Daram belt of Gool tehsil.
Inspector General of BSF Rajeev Krishna has said that his personnel had opened fire in self-defence and with "maximum restraint" to quell the violence by the mob which had tried to storm their arms and ammunition store.
The state government has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident while Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has initiated a probe into the role of BSF in the matter.
J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had condemned the firing saying such incidents had the potential to jeopardise peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog