J&K police sub-inspector detained over Ramban firi
Jammu: An officer of Jammu and Kashmir police has been detained in connection with the recent firing incident in Ramban district in which four persons were killed and 42 others injured.
Sub-inspector Afzal Wani was on Monday taken into custody by J&K police on the basis of a case registered in Gool police station over the July 18 incident involving an attack by a mob on a BSF camp, said Ramban SSP Javaid Ahmed Muttoo.
Afzal, a resident of Gool belt of Ramban, was the in-charge of the Sangaldan police post in the district.
Police had on July 19 registered an FIR under Section 302 (murder) of the Ranbir Penal Code against Wani after a complaint from locals.
Two more FIRs dealing with charges of hurting religious sentiments/trespassing and attempt to murder have been registered against law and order and security personnel by the people of Gool.
"Notices have been issued to BSF to send their nominal roll and... (make their men available) for questioning by the Special Investigation Team," the SSP said.
Police want a list of BSF personnel deployed on patrolling duty and at the camp during the firing.
Mohd Latif, a resident of Dalwah, had allegedly instigated the mob into attacking the camp by blaming security forces of having desecrated the holy Quran.
Latif`s allegations had come after he was intercepted and questioned by a BSF patrolling party in the Daram belt of Gool tehsil.
Inspector General of BSF Rajeev Krishna has said that his personnel had opened fire in self-defence and with "maximum restraint" to quell the violence by the mob which had tried to storm their arms and ammunition store.
The state government has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident while Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde has initiated a probe into the role of BSF in the matter.
J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had condemned the firing saying such incidents had the potential to jeopardise peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings