J&K Speaker refuses to quash proceedings against VK Singh
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Speaker has referred breach of privilege motion against former Army Chief General (retd) V K Singh in connection with his alleged remarks against leaders of the state to committee of privileges of Assembly for examination.
"Speaker Mubarak Gul has referred breach of privilege notice (signed by 15 ministers and members) against former Army Chief (retd) Gen V K Singh along with reply received from him to Committee of privileges of Assembly for further examination, investigation and report," Special Secretary and Spokesperson, JK Assembly, N R Singh said here today.
The Speaker has turned down Gen Singh`s request for quashing the privilege motion against him, he said.
Asserting that various quotes ascribed to him are inaccurate and incorrect to the extent of being "misquotes", former Army Chief General (retd) V K Singh, had in his December 13, 2013 letter to the Speaker sought quashing of privilege motion and no further proceedings against him.
"In response to the allegations levelled against me vide the breach of privilege motion moved by certain members of your House, I almost respectfully point out that various quotes ascribed to me are inaccurate and incorrect to the extent of being misquotes," he had said.
"In light of facts and circumstances, it is respectfully submitted that the allegations levelled against me by way of breach of privilege motion by members of Legislative Assembly are not made out and appear to be a case of misinformation.
"Therefore the same may kindly be quashed by your goodself (Assembly Speaker) and no further proceedings in regards thereto may kindly be carried out in the interest of justice," Gen Singh had said.
He had replied to Gul in response to the privilege motion moved by the members of the House against his statement to some TV channels.
The Assembly had on December 13 released his reply to the media in order to make it public and also sought comments from the members of the House, who had moved breach of privilege notice against the General.
Gen Singh had claimed during a TV interview that Army was paying money to politicians in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'