J&K witnesses incident free R-Day
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday witnessed an
incident-free Republic Day with an impressive turnout at the
main function at the MAM Stadium which was packed to capacity
for the first time in 22 years of militancy in the state.
Governor NN Vohra unfurled the tricolour and inspected
the parade by contingents of the Army, BSF, CRPF, J&K Armed
Police, J&K Police, J&K Auxiliary Police, J&K Prison Police,
J&K Fire and Emergency Service, J&K Forest Protection Force
and NCC cadets.
Vohra appreciated the role of security forces in
preventing cross border infiltration and asked security forces
to maintain constant vigilance along the border line to foil
"Adversary elements across the border have not given
up their malicious resolve to disturb and destabilise our
country," he said in his Republic Day address.
In Srinagar, Finance Minister Abdul Rahim Rather unfurled
the national flag at Bakshi Stadium.
An official spokesman said the day passed off peacefully
across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed