Kashmir and Ladakh in deep freeze, Leh at minus 22
Srinagar: Leh in Jammu and Kashmir Monday recorded the lowest temperature of the season at minus 22.2 degrees Celsius as intense cold wave conditions continued across the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region.
"At minus 22.2 degrees Celsius, Leh in Ladakh witnessed the lowest this season Monday. Kargil, also in Ladakh recorded minus 20.0 degrees while the minimum was minus 4.2 in Srinagar, minus 10.0 in Gulmarg and minus 7.0 at Pahalgam," Sonam Lotus, director of the meteorological office said.
The intense cold wave conditions continued unabated in the valley. Water taps froze in the morning and highly slippery road conditions forced most locals to remain indoors.
In its revised weather forecast, the met office said the western disturbance (WD) active over the valley had somewhat weakened and now only light snowfall would occur at isolated places during the next 24 hours.
"The WD presently active here has somewhat weakened. We are now expecting light snowfall at isolated places in the valley in the coming 24 hours. However, moderate snowfall would occur across the valley around Jan 26 and 27," Lotus said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?