Kashmir guerrilla killed, three soldiers injured
Srinagar: A separatist guerrilla was killed and three soldiers were injured in a gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir Thursday, police said.
Men from Rashtriya Rifles and the police Special Operations Group (SOG) launched an operation Wednesday in the dense Cherhaar forests, 20 km from Sopore town, to track down hidden militants.
"While searches were going on, the militants fired at the troops under the cover of a dense fog. Three security men were injured. The firing was returned, killing a militant," a police officer told IANS.
"Searches are going on although the firing has stopped," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley