Leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference put under house arrest
Srinagar: Several leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference, including its chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, were placed under house arrest by the authorities here after the separatist amalgam said it will visit the family of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
Besides Mirwaiz, those placed under house arrest include executive member of Hurriyat Aga Syed Hassan Alsafvi Almosvi, Zaffar Akbar Bhat and advisor to the chairman Shahidul Islam, official sources said.
Mirwaiz had yesterday announced that he, along with other leaders of Hurriyat, would visit Guru`s house at Doabgah, Sopore in north Kashmir today.
However, apprehending law and order problems the authorities placed him under house arrest.
"Mirwaiz has been placed under house arrest," a police spokesman said.
The Hurriyat chairman said that since he was under house arrest, first in Delhi and then here, he couldn`t make it to Guru`s residence after his execution in Delhi`s Tihar Jail on February 9.
Another Hurriyat leader and Jammu and Kashmir People`s League Chairman, Mukhtar Ahmad Waza was yesterday detained and lodged in police station Sadder in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read