Leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference put under house arrest
Srinagar: Several leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference, including its chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, were placed under house arrest by the authorities here after the separatist amalgam said it will visit the family of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
Besides Mirwaiz, those placed under house arrest include executive member of Hurriyat Aga Syed Hassan Alsafvi Almosvi, Zaffar Akbar Bhat and advisor to the chairman Shahidul Islam, official sources said.
Mirwaiz had yesterday announced that he, along with other leaders of Hurriyat, would visit Guru`s house at Doabgah, Sopore in north Kashmir today.
However, apprehending law and order problems the authorities placed him under house arrest.
"Mirwaiz has been placed under house arrest," a police spokesman said.
The Hurriyat chairman said that since he was under house arrest, first in Delhi and then here, he couldn`t make it to Guru`s residence after his execution in Delhi`s Tihar Jail on February 9.
Another Hurriyat leader and Jammu and Kashmir People`s League Chairman, Mukhtar Ahmad Waza was yesterday detained and lodged in police station Sadder in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional