Leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference put under house arrest
Srinagar: Several leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference, including its chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, were placed under house arrest by the authorities here after the separatist amalgam said it will visit the family of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
Besides Mirwaiz, those placed under house arrest include executive member of Hurriyat Aga Syed Hassan Alsafvi Almosvi, Zaffar Akbar Bhat and advisor to the chairman Shahidul Islam, official sources said.
Mirwaiz had yesterday announced that he, along with other leaders of Hurriyat, would visit Guru`s house at Doabgah, Sopore in north Kashmir today.
However, apprehending law and order problems the authorities placed him under house arrest.
"Mirwaiz has been placed under house arrest," a police spokesman said.
The Hurriyat chairman said that since he was under house arrest, first in Delhi and then here, he couldn`t make it to Guru`s residence after his execution in Delhi`s Tihar Jail on February 9.
Another Hurriyat leader and Jammu and Kashmir People`s League Chairman, Mukhtar Ahmad Waza was yesterday detained and lodged in police station Sadder in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested