Leh freezes at minus 17
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir`s Leh town on Saturday literally froze with minimum temperature dipping to minus 17 degrees Celsius.
The Met Office has forecast a further dip in the night temperatures across the Ladakh region and Kashmir Valley.
"The minimum temperature dipped to minus 17 degrees Celsius today (Saturday) in Leh. It was minus 14.4 degrees Celsius in Kargil town, minus 8 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam and minus 3.4 degrees Celsius in Srinagar," an official of the meteorological department said.
"As the weather is likely to remain dry across the valley for the next few days, we are expecting a further fall in the night temperatures," said the official.
Kashmir has been reeling under cold waves since Chillai Kalan, the coldest 40-day period, commenced here Friday.
Although weather has remained dry in the last two days, morning frost has started affecting normal life in the valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai