Militancy in Jammu and Kashmir at its nadir
Jammu: The year 2012 has seen "lowest terror violence" since the outbreak of militancy in Jammu and Kashmir over two decades ago with 37 deaths in such incidents in the state.
This year, the state has witnessed 45 per cent decline in militancy as compared to the last year.
Last year, 73 people, including civilian and security personnel, lost their lives to 195 terror related incidents, while this year 37 people were killed in 73 incidents.
A recent report on militancy, compiled by the state Home Ministry upto November end this year, said, "2012 is year of lowest terror violence in 23 years long militancy in Jammu and Kashmir."
Of the 118 terrorist incidents, there has been 28 incidents of hurling of grenade, five explosions, 33 incidents of random firing, 44 incidents of cross-firing, 2 arsons cases and five arms snatching cases this year, it said.
As many as 95 people, including 23 civilians, 14 security forces and police besides 58 terrorists were killed this year. There were 173 people killed in JK last year including 40 civilians, 33 security forces and 100 militants.
There was a fall in the militancy related incidents from 368 in 2010 to 195 in 2011 also.
As many as 69 security personnel, 41 civilian and 229 militants were killed in 2010.
2009 saw death of 79 civilian in the violence, the Data further said, adding there were also lowest number of 72 security men including 11 policemen, 47 security force men, 13 special police officers (SPOs) and a village defence committee member (VDC) killed in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’