Militant attack on convoy act of desperation: BSF
Srinagar: Terming the militant attack on its convoy as an "act of desperation", Border Security Force (BSF) on Friday said there are elements who do not want peace and progress in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The (militant) attack on our boys was an act of desperation by unscrupulous elements who do not want peace and progress...I will not say it indicates the rise in militancy," Inspector General of BSF, Kashmir Frontier, PS Sandhu, told reporters here.
Militants yesterday ambushed a BSF convoy near Chanapora bridge in the outskirts of the city, killing a jawan and injuring two others.
Sandhu, who led his officers and jawans to pay floral tributes to the slain jawan at Subsidiary Training Centre Humhama, said despite the attack by militants the jawans were not provoked and exercised total restraint.
"It was an unfortunate incident, a cowardly act on the part of militants. There was huge number of civilian movement at the time of the incident and had our boys retaliated, there would have been civilian causalities," he said.
The BSF officer said the paramilitary force will not be provoked by such incident and will ensure maximum restraint in future as well.
Earlier, Sandhu laid wreath on the coffin of constable Kishan Kalita before his body was flown to his native place in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'