Militant killed in J&K encounter
Srinagar: A militant was killed in an overnight gunbattle with security forces in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, police said on Saturday.
"The body of the militant has been recovered along with an AK rifle and some ammunition," a police spokesman said.
Security forces had yesterday cordoned off village Kangan in Pulwama, 35 kms from here, following information about presence of militants in the village.
As the security forces were closing in on the target house, the militants opened firing, which was retaliated.
The exchange of fire stopped after an hour leading to fatal injuries to the militant.
The operation was halted for the night and the body of the slain ultra was recovered this morning.
The spokesman said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militant is being ascertained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur