Militant killed in J&K encounter
Srinagar: A militant was killed in an overnight gunbattle with security forces in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, police said on Saturday.
"The body of the militant has been recovered along with an AK rifle and some ammunition," a police spokesman said.
Security forces had yesterday cordoned off village Kangan in Pulwama, 35 kms from here, following information about presence of militants in the village.
As the security forces were closing in on the target house, the militants opened firing, which was retaliated.
The exchange of fire stopped after an hour leading to fatal injuries to the militant.
The operation was halted for the night and the body of the slain ultra was recovered this morning.
The spokesman said the identity and group affiliation of the slain militant is being ascertained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'