Minor reshuffle in JK police; DIG South Kashmir shunted out
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has transferred top police officials of Anantnag in South Kashmir including the DIG.
Deputy Inspector General of Police (South Range) A S Bali was shifted as Director, Police Telecom, and Shafqat Wattali was posted in his place to look after Anantnag,
Pulwama, Kulgam and Shopian districts.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Anantnag district) Showkat Malik was transferred to Railways with Bashir Ahmad Khan taking over from him.
Though Malik had completed his tenure in the district, the change was also seen as a part of the inquiry in which eight policemen were attached to police headquarters for
allegedly involved in a firing incident in Anantnag that led to the death of three persons.
SSP Baramulla Sheikh Mehmood, who was transferred to the troubled North Kashmir district less than a month ago, was replaced by Mansoor Ahmad Antoo as the former is in hospital following a cardiac problem.
Mohammad Sayeed Punoo, AIG, (welfare), police headquarters, has been transferred and posted as SP Awantipora.
The transfers in Anantnag come in the backdrop of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah assuring prominent citizens to carry out a detailed enquiry of the allegation of alleged
high-handedness by policemen in the district.
Earlier, an inspector, two sub-inspectors and five constables were attached with the Jammu and Kashmir Police headquarters following a preliminary report that they used
"excessive force", official sources said here.
Anantnag Additional District Magistrate G M Dar is conducting a formal inquiry into the incident.
The chief minister had said on July 6 in Anantnag that he had received the preliminary inquiry report about the Anantnag incident "in which precious human lives have been
lost and action will be taken accordingly".
Three persons were killed and two others injured as security personnel allegedly opened fire at a group of stone-pelting protesters in Anantnag, 55 kms from here, on June 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next