Mirwaiz placed under house arrest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was Thursday placed under house arrest here soon after his arrival from New Delhi.
The Mirwaiz, who was under house arrest in Delhi following hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru on February 9, was allowed to return to the Valley.
He was escorted by a police posse from Srinagar Airport to his Nigeen residence and served with the house arrest order, Hurriyat spokesman said.
The Hurriyat chairman had called a press conference but the media-persons were not allowed to enter the premises of the Mirwaiz`s residence, the spokesman said.
"The Mirwaiz was scheduled to visit the family of Afzal Guru after chairing a meeting of Hurriyat but the government has imposed curbs on all his activities," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader