Moderate Hurriyat slams political parties over Afzal`s hanging
Srinagar: Hurriyat Conference`s moderate faction today accused mainstream political parties in Jammu and Kashmir of "running with the hare and hunting with the hound" on the issue of Afzal Guru`s execution.
"The State Legislative Assembly stands exposed as an accomplice in the political decision of hanging of Afzal Guru by deliberately and brazenly choosing to not support a resolution for clemency for him brought under its purview," a spokesman of the Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said.
The spokesman said while the legislators of Tamil Nadu and Punjab stalled hanging of killers of Rajiv Gandhi and Beant Singh, the mainstream parties in Kashmir could not muster the political will nor the courage to save the life of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru and "went ahead to play a role more loyal than the King".
He said the Centre has "murdered" the fundamental principles of justice by denying Guru`s family his body as every human being has the non-negotiable right to be buried according to his religious rites in the presence of his kin.
"New Delhi has trampled all human values as they are now saying that Kashmiris have to seek their permission for visiting the graves of their beloved ones," he said.
Hurriyat demands return of Guru`s body and mortal remains of Maqbool Bhat, who was also hanged in Tihar Jail in 1984, the spokesman said.
He also lashed out at National Conference MLA Mustafa Kamal for alleging that the separatist leadership are double agents.
"These traditional pro-Indian parties has been volunteers for the suppression of the rights of the Kashmiri nation and have yet again co-signed a grave miscarriage of justice by the hanging of Afzal Guru," the spokesman said.
He also condemned the killing of three youth in Baramulla and Sumbal area of Kashmir by security forces during protests against Afzal`s hanging.
He condemned the curbs put on the media in Kashmir saying that a media-blackout cannot hide the grief and dismay that continues to spread in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!