Moderate Hurriyat slams political parties over Afzal`s hanging
Srinagar: Hurriyat Conference`s moderate faction today accused mainstream political parties in Jammu and Kashmir of "running with the hare and hunting with the hound" on the issue of Afzal Guru`s execution.
"The State Legislative Assembly stands exposed as an accomplice in the political decision of hanging of Afzal Guru by deliberately and brazenly choosing to not support a resolution for clemency for him brought under its purview," a spokesman of the Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said.
The spokesman said while the legislators of Tamil Nadu and Punjab stalled hanging of killers of Rajiv Gandhi and Beant Singh, the mainstream parties in Kashmir could not muster the political will nor the courage to save the life of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru and "went ahead to play a role more loyal than the King".
He said the Centre has "murdered" the fundamental principles of justice by denying Guru`s family his body as every human being has the non-negotiable right to be buried according to his religious rites in the presence of his kin.
"New Delhi has trampled all human values as they are now saying that Kashmiris have to seek their permission for visiting the graves of their beloved ones," he said.
Hurriyat demands return of Guru`s body and mortal remains of Maqbool Bhat, who was also hanged in Tihar Jail in 1984, the spokesman said.
He also lashed out at National Conference MLA Mustafa Kamal for alleging that the separatist leadership are double agents.
"These traditional pro-Indian parties has been volunteers for the suppression of the rights of the Kashmiri nation and have yet again co-signed a grave miscarriage of justice by the hanging of Afzal Guru," the spokesman said.
He also condemned the killing of three youth in Baramulla and Sumbal area of Kashmir by security forces during protests against Afzal`s hanging.
He condemned the curbs put on the media in Kashmir saying that a media-blackout cannot hide the grief and dismay that continues to spread in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people