NC-Cong cannot be trusted to empower Panchayat in J&K: BJP
Jammu: Criticising the ruling National Conference-Congress coalition government for allegedly failing to empower Panchayat Raj institution in Jammu and Kashmir, BJP on Wednesday said it cannot be trusted with the task, or with extension of 73rd amendment to the Constitution to the state.
"NC-Congress leaders cannot be trusted as they neither have any policy, nor any intention, to empower Panchayats. They are actually against making the Panches and Sarpanches empowered with all the tools of empowerment," state BJP General Secretary, Ashok Koul said on a visit to various hilly areas of Jammu region today.
He said the two parties cannot be trusted when they say they will implement the 73rd amendment in Jammu and Kashmir to empower Panchayats, he said.
The 73rd amendment to the Constitution grants constitutional status to elected rural local bodies.
Koul said NC and Congress leaders could have easily empowered Panchayats after the Panchayat elections two years ago.
He claimed that the state government is "anti-people" and "anti-Panches and Sarpanches" as NC and Congress leaders have opposed security, financial benefits and empowerment to the Panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!