NC-Cong cannot be trusted to empower Panchayat in J&K: BJP
Jammu: Criticising the ruling National Conference-Congress coalition government for allegedly failing to empower Panchayat Raj institution in Jammu and Kashmir, BJP on Wednesday said it cannot be trusted with the task, or with extension of 73rd amendment to the Constitution to the state.
"NC-Congress leaders cannot be trusted as they neither have any policy, nor any intention, to empower Panchayats. They are actually against making the Panches and Sarpanches empowered with all the tools of empowerment," state BJP General Secretary, Ashok Koul said on a visit to various hilly areas of Jammu region today.
He said the two parties cannot be trusted when they say they will implement the 73rd amendment in Jammu and Kashmir to empower Panchayats, he said.
The 73rd amendment to the Constitution grants constitutional status to elected rural local bodies.
Koul said NC and Congress leaders could have easily empowered Panchayats after the Panchayat elections two years ago.
He claimed that the state government is "anti-people" and "anti-Panches and Sarpanches" as NC and Congress leaders have opposed security, financial benefits and empowerment to the Panchayats.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'