NC-Cong cannot be trusted to empower Panchayat in J&K: BJP
Jammu: Criticising the ruling National Conference-Congress coalition government for allegedly failing to empower Panchayat Raj institution in Jammu and Kashmir, BJP on Wednesday said it cannot be trusted with the task, or with extension of 73rd amendment to the Constitution to the state.
"NC-Congress leaders cannot be trusted as they neither have any policy, nor any intention, to empower Panchayats. They are actually against making the Panches and Sarpanches empowered with all the tools of empowerment," state BJP General Secretary, Ashok Koul said on a visit to various hilly areas of Jammu region today.
He said the two parties cannot be trusted when they say they will implement the 73rd amendment in Jammu and Kashmir to empower Panchayats, he said.
The 73rd amendment to the Constitution grants constitutional status to elected rural local bodies.
Koul said NC and Congress leaders could have easily empowered Panchayats after the Panchayat elections two years ago.
He claimed that the state government is "anti-people" and "anti-Panches and Sarpanches" as NC and Congress leaders have opposed security, financial benefits and empowerment to the Panchayats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Understanding Olympics qualification: How MC Mary Kom can still go to Rio 2016, with some luck
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay
- Internet services suspended in Kupwara in wake of encounter
- Submarine deployed to find crashed jet's black boxes: Egypt PM