Omar launches Jammu-Kargil air service
Jammu: In an effort to promote tourism and facilitate the movement of people of Kargil which remains cut-off with other parts of the state during winter, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday launched a commercial air service to the mountainous area.
Omar and several state ministers took the first flight of scheduled regional airline Air Mantra from Jammu to Kargil and took stock of the arrangements made to air connect the mountainous belt.
The air service was all more required as the area remains disconnected with other parts of Jammu and Kashmir during winter and the national highways are blocked for most part of the season, he said in a function at Kargil.
The air service will keep Kargil residents connected with the state and also promote tourism, he said.
Omar stressed upon the need to put in place all statutory requirements and safety measures for the air service and said he would take up the issue of subsidising the air fare for people to help them utilise the service especially during the winter months.
After the commencement of the construction of Z-Morh tunnel, the air service to Kargil is another positive news for Kargil residents, he said.
Kargil has a great potential of tourism and to explore the opportunity there is an urgent need to improve, upgrade and construct befitting tourist infrastructure which cannot be done by the government alone but people and private parties have to contribute in this task equally, he said.
"Yours is one of the most beautiful areas in the world and to rope in tourists from all over the world requires us to built required tourist infrastructure here", he said.
"I am the most fortunate Chief Minister of the state as the historic event of air service to Kargil is taking place in my tenure for which so many Chief Ministers cherished and worked," he said.
On the occasion, he appreciated the decision of Air Mantra to start the air service from Jammu to Kargil.
He underlined the need for a similar air connectivity from Srinagar and said that it would open the area for global tourism.
He said Kargil has a great potential for power generation and this potential is being harnessed by launching many small and medium power projects in the area.
Omar said the completion of Srinagar-Leh Transmission Line would encourage the launch of projects in Leh and Kargil districts. "Through this transmission line we would be able to extract surplus power from this region," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in