Omar planning `virtual martial law` in JK: Mufti
Srinagar: By proposing to incorporate the
essence of AFSPA into the local Ranbir Penal Code (RPC), Jammu
and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah was leading the state
towards "virtual martial law", PDP president Mehbooba Mufti
"The AFSPA has to go sooner or later but Omar Abdullah`s
diabolical suggestion to incorporate its essence into the
local Ranbir Penal Code amounts to introducing a virtual
martial law in the state on a permanent basis," Mufti told a
public meeting in south Kashmir Kokernag town, 85 kms from
She alleged the current debate on AFSPA, initiated by the
Chief Minister, was meant to divert attention from the
"rampant corruption" under the NC-Congress coalition
"It (AFSPA debate) was only to deflect attention from
the serious lapses in governance and rampant corruption under
the present coalition government," she said.
Omar had on November 24 said his government was ready to
give legal protection to the Army by amending the Ranbir Penal
Code and making it on par with the CrPC.
The PDP president said the ruling National Conference
could no longer blame the Centre for eroding the autonomy of
"After making this offer of amending RPC to replace
APSPA, the Abdullahs can no more blame Delhi for erosion of
state`s special status. It is they who primarily have been
instrumental in erosion of autonomy of the state," she said.
Mehbooba accused the NC of misusing the support of the
Centre and its allies only to protect its power while making
serious compromises on vital interests of the state.
"NC has always used the support of its allies, whether
Congress or BJP, to dis-empower people of the state," she
Mehbooba said the NC ends all arguments by flaunting
"Centre`s support" to all its misdeeds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17