Omar points to Pak to warn against neglecting power needs
Srinagar: The alarming power situation in Pakistan should serve as warning for India to strengthen its electricity generation capabilities to meet future needs, Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah said on Saturday.
"(The worsening power situation in Pakistan) is a lesson for us... To focus on power generation to safeguard our future," Omar told a public gathering at Delina, 55-km from here on the Srinagar-Muzaffarbad road.
He earlier inaugurated a Rs 82.70 crore grid station and the 220KV double circuit Zainkote-Amargarh transmission line which is set to enhance net available capacity in north Kashmir from the present 160MW to 300 MW.
It will also augment supply in parts of Budgam and Srinagar districts.
The newly-inaugurated transmission line is a first-of-its -kind in the Valley wherein specially designed multi-circuit towers will simultaneously carry four circuits of 220KV each.
Talking about the dangers of not augmenting electricity generation, Omar said the people of Pakistan have to face daily power cuts of up to 22 hours.
"I remember, more than a decade back, (when) India was facing a power shortage, Pakistan was approached for supply of some 500MW to India (although an agreement) did not materialise due to some political reasons.
"Now, Pakistan is approaching India to get 500MW," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!