Omar points to Pak to warn against neglecting power needs
Srinagar: The alarming power situation in Pakistan should serve as warning for India to strengthen its electricity generation capabilities to meet future needs, Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah said on Saturday.
"(The worsening power situation in Pakistan) is a lesson for us... To focus on power generation to safeguard our future," Omar told a public gathering at Delina, 55-km from here on the Srinagar-Muzaffarbad road.
He earlier inaugurated a Rs 82.70 crore grid station and the 220KV double circuit Zainkote-Amargarh transmission line which is set to enhance net available capacity in north Kashmir from the present 160MW to 300 MW.
It will also augment supply in parts of Budgam and Srinagar districts.
The newly-inaugurated transmission line is a first-of-its -kind in the Valley wherein specially designed multi-circuit towers will simultaneously carry four circuits of 220KV each.
Talking about the dangers of not augmenting electricity generation, Omar said the people of Pakistan have to face daily power cuts of up to 22 hours.
"I remember, more than a decade back, (when) India was facing a power shortage, Pakistan was approached for supply of some 500MW to India (although an agreement) did not materialise due to some political reasons.
"Now, Pakistan is approaching India to get 500MW," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way