Omar strongly bats for Truth and Reconciliation Commission
Jammu: Batting strongly for setting up of
a Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) to probe the
deaths and destructions in militancy-related violence in Jammu
and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday urged state
Assembly to prepare a resolution on the issue and forward it
to the Centre for its constitution.
"I want to put forth a proposal before this august
house. Time has come when we should set up a TRC in the state
to probe who brought death, destructions and militancy in
Jammu and Kashmir," Omar told Legislative Assembly while
winding up the motion of thanks on the Governor`s address.
"Today I request you (legislators) and the House to
prepare a resolution which will be send to the Centre from
this House to demand setting up of Truth and Reconciliation
Commission in the state," he said.
The chief minister said that a person who does not
have anything to do with politics of the state and is not
partial or discriminatory should head the Commission.
"If this is put in place, we will feel that we are
working on a healing policy for which money and time does not
matter," he said.
"It will be the only way that a son will get answers
as to how and why his father disappeared. A Kashmiri Pandit
will know why he was forced out and families of the slain
workers of NC, Congress, PDP and BJP will get answers who
targetted them," Omar said.
The chief minister said that he wanted to heal the
wounds of those who faced the burnt of turmoil in the state.
"We want to have answers about what happened with us,
the demands of disappeared persons associations and thousands
of people killed in the state.
"We want to give justice to all of them by finding the
answers. Why our Kashmiri brothers fled from the Valley in
difficult times? Why they came here and in what circumstances?
Who targetted them? We want to have answers to it," he said.
"Why thousands of political workers of ours were
killed. Who killed them and why they were killed? When
militancy was started and on what grounds? These needs
answers," Omar said.
There were allegations of custodial disappearances and
tortures in custody and people need to know whether these
allegations are true or false, he remarked.
"We do not have any policy to find out their answers
so we want to have a healing policy by constituting TRC. Has
not time come when we should set up a commission in this
regard? I think time has come when the state needs healing
policy on this issue. We need to get answers as to who brought
death, destructions and militancy in the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi