Panch arrested on charge of reviving HB outift in Anantnag
Srinagar: Two persons, including a panch associated with the ruling National Conference, were arrested on charges of reviving Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit in Bijbehara area in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, police said on Monday.
"A panch and a former militant were arrested for trying to revive Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit at Bijbehara," Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Sreedar Patel told a news agency.
Panch Muhammad Amin Khanday and former Hizbul militant Abass Sheikh were arrested following specific information about their "nefarious activities", he said.
"Police assisted by Army laid an ambush at Banderpora Saturday night and took the two into custody. However, two suspected militants accompanying them fled under the cover of darkness," the SDPO said.
Police were keeping an eye on activities of the duo for the past several months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Minor gang-raped in UP's Etah
- Three drowned as car plunges into canal in UP
- After clinching historic silver medal, here's what PV Sindhu was allowed to do by coach Pullela Gopichand
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?