Panch arrested on charge of reviving HB outift in Anantnag
Srinagar: Two persons, including a panch associated with the ruling National Conference, were arrested on charges of reviving Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit in Bijbehara area in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, police said on Monday.
"A panch and a former militant were arrested for trying to revive Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit at Bijbehara," Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Sreedar Patel told a news agency.
Panch Muhammad Amin Khanday and former Hizbul militant Abass Sheikh were arrested following specific information about their "nefarious activities", he said.
"Police assisted by Army laid an ambush at Banderpora Saturday night and took the two into custody. However, two suspected militants accompanying them fled under the cover of darkness," the SDPO said.
Police were keeping an eye on activities of the duo for the past several months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy