Panch arrested on charge of reviving HB outift in Anantnag
Srinagar: Two persons, including a panch associated with the ruling National Conference, were arrested on charges of reviving Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit in Bijbehara area in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, police said on Monday.
"A panch and a former militant were arrested for trying to revive Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit at Bijbehara," Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Sreedar Patel told a news agency.
Panch Muhammad Amin Khanday and former Hizbul militant Abass Sheikh were arrested following specific information about their "nefarious activities", he said.
"Police assisted by Army laid an ambush at Banderpora Saturday night and took the two into custody. However, two suspected militants accompanying them fled under the cover of darkness," the SDPO said.
Police were keeping an eye on activities of the duo for the past several months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok