Panch arrested on charge of reviving HB outift in Anantnag
Srinagar: Two persons, including a panch associated with the ruling National Conference, were arrested on charges of reviving Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit in Bijbehara area in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, police said on Monday.
"A panch and a former militant were arrested for trying to revive Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit at Bijbehara," Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Sreedar Patel told a news agency.
Panch Muhammad Amin Khanday and former Hizbul militant Abass Sheikh were arrested following specific information about their "nefarious activities", he said.
"Police assisted by Army laid an ambush at Banderpora Saturday night and took the two into custody. However, two suspected militants accompanying them fled under the cover of darkness," the SDPO said.
Police were keeping an eye on activities of the duo for the past several months, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef