PDP, CPI(M) condemn Muslim League leader`s detention
Srinagar: Opposition PDP and CPI(M) on Wednesday condemned the detention of Muslim League leader Mushatq-ul-Islam for the eleventh time under the Public Safety Act, alleging that the law is being misused by the state government to silence its political opponents.
PDP president Mehbooba Mufti alleged that the Act (PSA) has become a preferred weapon to silence the opponents and muzzle the voices of dissent.
She accused the National Conference-led state government of misusing the law against its political opponents, and said Islam`s detention exposes wide gulf between the government`s speech and action.
CPI(M) general secretary MY Tarigami also criticised Islam`s detention, and termed as "unwarranted and undemocratic" the "stifling" of the democratic rights of the political activist.
He said slapping the PSA against Islam for the eleventh time in a row puts a question mark on which grounds he has been detained for so long.
Tarigami said the misuse of PSA in Kashmir has contributed negatively in incrementing the level of alienation among the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan