PDP, CPI(M) condemn Muslim League leader`s detention
Srinagar: Opposition PDP and CPI(M) on Wednesday condemned the detention of Muslim League leader Mushatq-ul-Islam for the eleventh time under the Public Safety Act, alleging that the law is being misused by the state government to silence its political opponents.
PDP president Mehbooba Mufti alleged that the Act (PSA) has become a preferred weapon to silence the opponents and muzzle the voices of dissent.
She accused the National Conference-led state government of misusing the law against its political opponents, and said Islam`s detention exposes wide gulf between the government`s speech and action.
CPI(M) general secretary MY Tarigami also criticised Islam`s detention, and termed as "unwarranted and undemocratic" the "stifling" of the democratic rights of the political activist.
He said slapping the PSA against Islam for the eleventh time in a row puts a question mark on which grounds he has been detained for so long.
Tarigami said the misuse of PSA in Kashmir has contributed negatively in incrementing the level of alienation among the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar