PDP, CPI(M) condemn Muslim League leader`s detention
Srinagar: Opposition PDP and CPI(M) on Wednesday condemned the detention of Muslim League leader Mushatq-ul-Islam for the eleventh time under the Public Safety Act, alleging that the law is being misused by the state government to silence its political opponents.
PDP president Mehbooba Mufti alleged that the Act (PSA) has become a preferred weapon to silence the opponents and muzzle the voices of dissent.
She accused the National Conference-led state government of misusing the law against its political opponents, and said Islam`s detention exposes wide gulf between the government`s speech and action.
CPI(M) general secretary MY Tarigami also criticised Islam`s detention, and termed as "unwarranted and undemocratic" the "stifling" of the democratic rights of the political activist.
He said slapping the PSA against Islam for the eleventh time in a row puts a question mark on which grounds he has been detained for so long.
Tarigami said the misuse of PSA in Kashmir has contributed negatively in incrementing the level of alienation among the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!