PDP, CPI(M) condemn Muslim League leader`s detention
Srinagar: Opposition PDP and CPI(M) on Wednesday condemned the detention of Muslim League leader Mushatq-ul-Islam for the eleventh time under the Public Safety Act, alleging that the law is being misused by the state government to silence its political opponents.
PDP president Mehbooba Mufti alleged that the Act (PSA) has become a preferred weapon to silence the opponents and muzzle the voices of dissent.
She accused the National Conference-led state government of misusing the law against its political opponents, and said Islam`s detention exposes wide gulf between the government`s speech and action.
CPI(M) general secretary MY Tarigami also criticised Islam`s detention, and termed as "unwarranted and undemocratic" the "stifling" of the democratic rights of the political activist.
He said slapping the PSA against Islam for the eleventh time in a row puts a question mark on which grounds he has been detained for so long.
Tarigami said the misuse of PSA in Kashmir has contributed negatively in incrementing the level of alienation among the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand