PDP expresses grief over death of 14 people in accidents
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party in Jammu and Kashmir today expressed grief over the death of 14 people in two separate road accidents in the state and called for adopting stringent measures to end the pressing "humanitarian crisis".
"PDP expresses deep sorrow over the tragic loss of precious lives in road accidents at Shalteng in Srinagar and Dachan in Kishtwar.
"Our roads have become a death trap and it was a matter of great concern that every day we come across such sad stories from every part of the state," PDP patron and former Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
He expressed his sympathy with the families of those who have lost their lives in the two road accidents. While 6 persons were killed in a head-on collision between an army vehicle and a cab on Srinagar-Baramulla district, eight passengers including two police officers were killed when their vehicle skidded off the road and fell into a gorge in Kishtwar district.
"Over the years much progress has been made elsewhere in different aspects of road safety but in our part of the world, people are getting killed everyday giving rise to a grave humanitarian crisis," he said and called for adopting stringent measures to contain the growing number of fatalities on the roads.
"The authorities need to come out with concrete measures and a road safety plan throughout the state," he said. Meanwhile, State Secretary of CPI(M) also expressed shock and grief over the loss of lives in the accidents and urged the government to provide immediate ex-gratia relief to the families of deceased and also ensure free of cost treatment to injured persons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report
- MPCA to decide on holding elections in Monday's AGM
- The solar system is home to millions of Jupiter-like planets, reveals NASA!