PDP slams J&K govt over Pak prisoner`s death
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Thursday expressed grief at the death of Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Haq, who succumbed to injuries at a hospital in Chandigarh, saying the Jammu and Kashmir government had "once again brought the state in to disrepute".
"We express grief at the death of Sanaullah Haq, who was attacked in Kot Bhawal jail of Jammu some days back and succumbed to injuries at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh this morning... The present government had once again brought the state in to disrepute," PDP spokesperson, Naeem Akthar, said here.
Akhtar said the Supreme Court reprimand to the Jammu and Kashmir government on the issue is "a clear indication of state government`s failure" to protect the Pakistani prisoner in the jail.
The Supreme Court had yesterday asked the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government to explain as to why no steps were taken to prevent assault on Sanaullah inside a Jammu jail.
He said the "tit for tat" killing of Sarabjit Singh and Sanaullah may prove a "turning point" in the Indo-Pak relations.
"The governments and civil society of two countries must work seriously to return to civilised conduct," he said.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader said the barbaric treatment to two prisoners has caused "immense damage" to the entire region.
He said there is a need to go over the entire scenario regarding conditions of prisoners within and outside the state.
"Human rights organisations have continuously being pointing out shortcoming of amenities provided to the prisoners. There are countless complaints that Kashmiri prisoners lodged in jails outside the state have been given discriminatory treatment. This issue must be focused up to ensure safety of prisoners," he said.
Sanaullah, who was serving life sentence at Kotbhalwal jail in Jammu, was critically injured in an attack by an inmate on last Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly