PDP slams J&K govt over Pak prisoner`s death
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Thursday expressed grief at the death of Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Haq, who succumbed to injuries at a hospital in Chandigarh, saying the Jammu and Kashmir government had "once again brought the state in to disrepute".
"We express grief at the death of Sanaullah Haq, who was attacked in Kot Bhawal jail of Jammu some days back and succumbed to injuries at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh this morning... The present government had once again brought the state in to disrepute," PDP spokesperson, Naeem Akthar, said here.
Akhtar said the Supreme Court reprimand to the Jammu and Kashmir government on the issue is "a clear indication of state government`s failure" to protect the Pakistani prisoner in the jail.
The Supreme Court had yesterday asked the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government to explain as to why no steps were taken to prevent assault on Sanaullah inside a Jammu jail.
He said the "tit for tat" killing of Sarabjit Singh and Sanaullah may prove a "turning point" in the Indo-Pak relations.
"The governments and civil society of two countries must work seriously to return to civilised conduct," he said.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader said the barbaric treatment to two prisoners has caused "immense damage" to the entire region.
He said there is a need to go over the entire scenario regarding conditions of prisoners within and outside the state.
"Human rights organisations have continuously being pointing out shortcoming of amenities provided to the prisoners. There are countless complaints that Kashmiri prisoners lodged in jails outside the state have been given discriminatory treatment. This issue must be focused up to ensure safety of prisoners," he said.
Sanaullah, who was serving life sentence at Kotbhalwal jail in Jammu, was critically injured in an attack by an inmate on last Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies