PDP slams J&K govt over Pak prisoner`s death
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Thursday expressed grief at the death of Pakistani prisoner Sanaullah Haq, who succumbed to injuries at a hospital in Chandigarh, saying the Jammu and Kashmir government had "once again brought the state in to disrepute".
"We express grief at the death of Sanaullah Haq, who was attacked in Kot Bhawal jail of Jammu some days back and succumbed to injuries at Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh this morning... The present government had once again brought the state in to disrepute," PDP spokesperson, Naeem Akthar, said here.
Akhtar said the Supreme Court reprimand to the Jammu and Kashmir government on the issue is "a clear indication of state government`s failure" to protect the Pakistani prisoner in the jail.
The Supreme Court had yesterday asked the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government to explain as to why no steps were taken to prevent assault on Sanaullah inside a Jammu jail.
He said the "tit for tat" killing of Sarabjit Singh and Sanaullah may prove a "turning point" in the Indo-Pak relations.
"The governments and civil society of two countries must work seriously to return to civilised conduct," he said.
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) leader said the barbaric treatment to two prisoners has caused "immense damage" to the entire region.
He said there is a need to go over the entire scenario regarding conditions of prisoners within and outside the state.
"Human rights organisations have continuously being pointing out shortcoming of amenities provided to the prisoners. There are countless complaints that Kashmiri prisoners lodged in jails outside the state have been given discriminatory treatment. This issue must be focused up to ensure safety of prisoners," he said.
Sanaullah, who was serving life sentence at Kotbhalwal jail in Jammu, was critically injured in an attack by an inmate on last Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj