PDP stages walkout from J&K Assembly over use of pepper gas
Jammu: Opposition PDP on Monday criticised the Jammu and Kashmir government for alleged use of pepper gas by police against protestors in the Valley and staged a walkout demanding a ban on the practise.
As the Assembly started proceedings this morning, PDP leaders Basharat Bukhari, Mansoor Hussain and Javed Mustafa Mir stood up from their opposition benches and raised demand to ban use of pepper gas by police amid protests over it.
They claimed that pepper gas was causing severe ailments like asthma due to its large scale use against protestors, citing the case of one Hajira Begum, an asthma patient, who allegedly died due to use of pepper gas in Srinagar recently.
PDP members demanded discussions and statement from the government.
However, Speaker Mubarak Gul resumed the Question Hour and the PDP continued protests for some time, later staging a walkout from the House.
Speaking to media outside the House, Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti said the government was misusing pepper gas on protestors and demanded withdrawal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
CPI(M) member MY Tarigami, when questioned over the issue, said a resolution should be brought in the House for its passage on revocation of AFSPA from the state.
"If the government is serious, they should bring the resolution," he said.
After PDP members returned to the House, the Speaker asked the concerned minister to make a statement on the issue.
Replying on the issue, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on the behest of Home Minister said police has been given directions not to trouble people.
However, he said there have been some problems faced by people in view of law and order disturbances, but government was committed to ensuring that no such problems are faced by the people while dealing with protestors.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list