PDP stages walkout from J&K Assembly over use of pepper gas
Jammu: Opposition PDP on Monday criticised the Jammu and Kashmir government for alleged use of pepper gas by police against protestors in the Valley and staged a walkout demanding a ban on the practise.
As the Assembly started proceedings this morning, PDP leaders Basharat Bukhari, Mansoor Hussain and Javed Mustafa Mir stood up from their opposition benches and raised demand to ban use of pepper gas by police amid protests over it.
They claimed that pepper gas was causing severe ailments like asthma due to its large scale use against protestors, citing the case of one Hajira Begum, an asthma patient, who allegedly died due to use of pepper gas in Srinagar recently.
PDP members demanded discussions and statement from the government.
However, Speaker Mubarak Gul resumed the Question Hour and the PDP continued protests for some time, later staging a walkout from the House.
Speaking to media outside the House, Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti said the government was misusing pepper gas on protestors and demanded withdrawal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
CPI(M) member MY Tarigami, when questioned over the issue, said a resolution should be brought in the House for its passage on revocation of AFSPA from the state.
"If the government is serious, they should bring the resolution," he said.
After PDP members returned to the House, the Speaker asked the concerned minister to make a statement on the issue.
Replying on the issue, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on the behest of Home Minister said police has been given directions not to trouble people.
However, he said there have been some problems faced by people in view of law and order disturbances, but government was committed to ensuring that no such problems are faced by the people while dealing with protestors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow