PDP stages walkout from J&K Assembly over use of pepper gas
Jammu: Opposition PDP on Monday criticised the Jammu and Kashmir government for alleged use of pepper gas by police against protestors in the Valley and staged a walkout demanding a ban on the practise.
As the Assembly started proceedings this morning, PDP leaders Basharat Bukhari, Mansoor Hussain and Javed Mustafa Mir stood up from their opposition benches and raised demand to ban use of pepper gas by police amid protests over it.
They claimed that pepper gas was causing severe ailments like asthma due to its large scale use against protestors, citing the case of one Hajira Begum, an asthma patient, who allegedly died due to use of pepper gas in Srinagar recently.
PDP members demanded discussions and statement from the government.
However, Speaker Mubarak Gul resumed the Question Hour and the PDP continued protests for some time, later staging a walkout from the House.
Speaking to media outside the House, Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti said the government was misusing pepper gas on protestors and demanded withdrawal of Armed Forces Special Powers Act.
CPI(M) member MY Tarigami, when questioned over the issue, said a resolution should be brought in the House for its passage on revocation of AFSPA from the state.
"If the government is serious, they should bring the resolution," he said.
After PDP members returned to the House, the Speaker asked the concerned minister to make a statement on the issue.
Replying on the issue, Law Minister Mir Saifullah on the behest of Home Minister said police has been given directions not to trouble people.
However, he said there have been some problems faced by people in view of law and order disturbances, but government was committed to ensuring that no such problems are faced by the people while dealing with protestors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves