Protests in Baramulla; Omar says killing will be probed
Srinagar: Kashmir`s Baramulla district was
hit by protests for the second day on Saturday over the killing of a
youth allegedly in firing by security forces, with Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah saying that government will inquire
into the circumstances of the incident.
Ashiq Hussain, a resident of Lesar village in Rafiabad
area of Baramulla district, 75 kms from here, died after being
hit by a bullet at around 9.00 pm last night, officials said.
Local residents, who have blocked the Sopore-Kupwara
road, alleged that Hussain was killed in firing by Army
personnel who were present in the area.
The residents have refused to bury the body of the youth
so far, demanding the arrest of the Army personnel allegedly
involved in the killing, officials said.
They said the protestors were also demanding removal of
the Army camp in their area.
Omar, who arrived here from Jammu, told reporters, that
"It is too early to comment on the incident as there are
multiple versions coming out about it. We are looking into the
The Chief Minister said he will see whether the standard
operating procedure was followed by the security forces while
laying the ambush in area.
A defence spokesman, in a statement issued last night,
said troops of 32 Rashtriya Rifles and police had launched a
joint operation following information about presence of
militants in the area.
"At about 9.00 pm, some firing was reported and it is
believed that a civilian has been killed in the firing. Due to
darkness there are problems in ascertaining the details at
present," the spokesman said.
The defence spokesman spokesman today said he had no
further information about the incident that already made
Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani and Director
General of Police Kuldeep Khoda have reached Baramulla
district headquarters and are monitoring the situation,
official sources said.
They said the Chief Minister is also likely to visit the
village later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM