`Rahul assured all possible help on panchayat empowerment`
Jammu: A body of sarpanchs in Jammu and Kashmir, which recently met AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi, on Saturday said he has promised that "no power can stop panchayat empowerment in the state."
"Rahul Ji told us no power on the earth can stop the implementation of 73rd amendment act to empower Panchayat raj system in Jammu and Kashmir. He is now our last hope," Shafiq Mir, convener of All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Coordination Committee, told reporters here today.
Mir also advised the Congress to withdraw support from the state government if coalition ally National Conference opposes the empowerment of panchayat.
"Chief Minister Omar Abdullah should not confront the Centre on the issue. If the ruling NC is not ready for the 73rd Amendment, its coalition partner Congress should immediately withdraw its support from the government," Mir said.
Hailing from remote area of Rajouri district, Mir lead a 10-member delegation of panchs and sarpanchs from Jammu and Kashmir to Delhi to meet AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi and several other ministers.
He sought support from Congress for passage of the bill even if any political party moves a bill on the 73rd amendment in the upcoming Autumn session of the Assembly starting from October 1 in Srinagar.
"The Union Home Ministry has issued an order to provide security to panchs and sarpanchs in vulnerable areas of the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Female birds call the shots to break-up
- My father cut me off when I was 18: Sonam Kapoor
- Explore new friends on 'Tinder Social' in India now
- Bhagwant Mann posts video of security pickets on way to Parliament; MPs attack AAP lawmaker
- Mario Goetze returns home: Germany's World Cup hero leaves Bayern Munich for Borussia Dortmund