`Rahul assured all possible help on panchayat empowerment`
Jammu: A body of sarpanchs in Jammu and Kashmir, which recently met AICC General Secretary Rahul Gandhi, on Saturday said he has promised that "no power can stop panchayat empowerment in the state."
"Rahul Ji told us no power on the earth can stop the implementation of 73rd amendment act to empower Panchayat raj system in Jammu and Kashmir. He is now our last hope," Shafiq Mir, convener of All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Coordination Committee, told reporters here today.
Mir also advised the Congress to withdraw support from the state government if coalition ally National Conference opposes the empowerment of panchayat.
"Chief Minister Omar Abdullah should not confront the Centre on the issue. If the ruling NC is not ready for the 73rd Amendment, its coalition partner Congress should immediately withdraw its support from the government," Mir said.
Hailing from remote area of Rajouri district, Mir lead a 10-member delegation of panchs and sarpanchs from Jammu and Kashmir to Delhi to meet AICC general secretary Rahul Gandhi and several other ministers.
He sought support from Congress for passage of the bill even if any political party moves a bill on the 73rd amendment in the upcoming Autumn session of the Assembly starting from October 1 in Srinagar.
"The Union Home Ministry has issued an order to provide security to panchs and sarpanchs in vulnerable areas of the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday