Rats, stray dogs cause havoc in Jammu
Jammu: Rats and stray dogs have made life miserable for people in parts of Jammu with the local municipality confessing that the rodent invasion is not only "causing nuisance" to citizens but even damaging the foundations of buildings in this city of six million people.
The Jammu Municipal Corporation (JMC) says that the old city of Jammu has been virtually taken over by rodents.
The rats "have invaded every lane and drain and are causing nuisance to the inhabitants besides damaging the foundations of the buildings", the corporation has told the chief minister`s secretariat. The municipality`s anti-rat drive of the last two years has proved a near failure - despite giving away over 60,000 anti-rodent pills.
The municipality`s admission follows RTI activist Raman Sharma`s petition seeking the intervention of the Jammu and Kashmir health department and the Jammu municipality to declare war on rodents.
"We have tried our level best but now it is not in the hands of citizens. Therefore, we want the intervention of the government and its agencies," Sharma said in his petition.
Sharma fears epidemics.
The corporation is also grappling with the menace of stray dogs.
JMC Commissioner K.L. Khajuria told reporters, "We do not have an estimate on the number of stray dogs in the city but are very sure that their population is rising by the day."
Khajuria said about 20 cases of dog bites were reported daily in the city.
The municipality has started sterilising stray dogs as it cannot kill or castrate them.
Worse, it has no space to provide shelter to strays it can catch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- State BJP, Congress, Left to boycott Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in, Arun Jaitley to attend
- Jibe at Subramanian Swamy? Arun Jaitley says he disapproves of personal attack on Raghuram Rajan
- IPL 2016 Final: Tickets sold out in 2 hours
- Two years of Modi govt: Hope has replaced hopelessness under NDA rule, says PM
- Assam Board SEBA Class 10th Examination Results 2016: SEBA HSLC Results 2016, Assam HSLC Result 2016 to be declared on May 31