Report on Kashmir not ready: Interlocutors
New Delhi: The group of interlocutors on Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday said its final recommendations do not exist "even in their embryonic form", contradicting media reports that pre-1953 status will be the way forward in resolving the sensitive problem.
"The report is purely speculative in nature. The group of interlocutors is presently engaged in preparing a draft of its final report which is expected to be submitted to the government of India before its term ends on October 12, 2011.
"The three members of the group are yet to enumerate, let alone discuss and finalise the recommendations. They will do so after they return from their last visit to Jammu and Kashmir in the latter half of this month," the interlocutors --
Dilip Padgaonkar, Radha Kumar and MM Ansari -- said in a statement.
They were reacting to a media report that said that the interlocutors are likely to recommend that the Jammu and Kashmir government be given exclusive jurisdiction of all departments except defence, foreign affairs and communications, which is very close to the position prevailing in the state prior to 1953.
"So", the interlocutors said, "There is no question of anyone in the government, let alone outside the government, being privy to the final recommendation. These recommendations do not exist in their embryonic form at present," the
statement said on the media report which had quoted highly placed sources in the government.
The interlocutors have so far made 10 visits to the state and covered 18 of the 22 districts during which they have met nearly 5,000 people which includes political leaders, trade unions, lawyers, student unions and newly-elected panchs and
The panel had submitted its interim report nearly 10 weeks back.
However, the separatists including both factions of Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani have not met the interlocutors. Former Hurriyat chairman and a prominent Shia leader Maulana Abbas Ansari had
met one of the interlocutors but in his individual capacity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'