Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Several Jammu and Kashmir separatist leaders, including hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Geelani, were Friday put under house arrest.
Besides Geelani, authorities also imposed restrictions on the movements of Democratic Freedom Party chief Shabir Shah and Nationalist Front`s Nayeem Khan.
A spokesperson of the Geelani-led Hurriyat group told IANS that police posted outside his Hyderpora residence had told the leader that he would not be allowed to move out Friday.
"These separatist leaders have been inciting people to violence through their speeches. Nobody would be allowed to disturb the prevailing peace here," a police officer said.
Geelani had announced that he would offer Friday prayers at a mosque in Karan Nagar locality of the city and then march with his supporters towards the Martyrs` Graveyard at Eidgah grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Novak Djokovic beats scare, Rafael Nadal eases at revamped US Open
- Colombia ceasefire ends half-century war with FARC
- Embarrassment for Congress as Navjot Singh Sidhu's wife criticises Amarinder Singh
- Why cholera is more deadly for people with type O blood
- US Open: Andy Murray, Serena Williams swing into action on Day 2