Separatist leaders under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Several Jammu and Kashmir separatist leaders, including hardline Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Geelani, were Friday put under house arrest.
Besides Geelani, authorities also imposed restrictions on the movements of Democratic Freedom Party chief Shabir Shah and Nationalist Front`s Nayeem Khan.
A spokesperson of the Geelani-led Hurriyat group told IANS that police posted outside his Hyderpora residence had told the leader that he would not be allowed to move out Friday.
"These separatist leaders have been inciting people to violence through their speeches. Nobody would be allowed to disturb the prevailing peace here," a police officer said.
Geelani had announced that he would offer Friday prayers at a mosque in Karan Nagar locality of the city and then march with his supporters towards the Martyrs` Graveyard at Eidgah grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video