Separatists behind Kashmir trouble; wanted more deaths, violence

In a shocking revelation, sources in the Home Ministry have given proof the current turmoil in Kashmir is funded and pre-planned.

Updated: Jul 09, 2010, 00:31 AM IST

Zeenews Bureau

Srinagar: In a shocking revelation, sources in the Union Home Ministry have given proof that the current turmoil in Kashmir is being not only instigated, but also planned and funded from across the border, by the Laskar-e-Tayyeba in collussion with hardliner separatists.

Intelligence agencies have intercepted conversations between one Ghulam Ahmed Dar and Shabir Wani which clearly shows that the stone-pelting and other disturbances are being funded by external elements in collision with the separatists.

A large procession had started in Budgam district on
the outskirts of Srinagar in the evening and two senior
office-bearers of the hardline Hurriyat faction led by Syed
Ali Shah Geelani discussed how to utilise it to create
casualties, according to the transcript of the conversation
available with the Home Ministry.

According to the transcript, one of the office-
bearers, Ghulam Ahmed Dar, was heard telling Shabir Ahmed
Wani, another office-bearer, that a procession of nearly
20,000 people had started from Magam and was going towards

Wani tells Dar, "you guys enjoy payments sitting at
home and do nothing."

Dar, in his response, says, "the management of crowd
becomes difficult gets difficult to manage the
mob later."

Dar then ends up by saying, "at least 15 people should
be martyred today."

The sources say there is recognition of genuine protest and anger in the Valley, but add that “mischief makers” are taking advantage of that anger.

J&K CM Omar Abdullah had said last week that the government has taped conversations between separatists, handlers from across LoC and stone-pelters. He said they have also tracked movement of money for these leaders.

The sources in the Home Ministry said the government was keeping a close watch on the situation and was of the opinion that the violence is occurring to derail the freshly started peace process between India and Pakistan.

The opposition had also sounded alert for the government about the problem being fomented by LeT and other militant groups.

“Pakistan is involved in stone-pelting. Stones are brought in trucks with each truckload costing Rs 1,000 to Rs 1,200. Boys are paid Rs 500 each for pelting stones. This is a low cost, high impact strategy being used by terrorist groups whose middle level leadership was liquidated by forces," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar had said on July 1.

Even the Union Home Minister had said in a press conference that LeT could be involved the Valley’s new trouble.

Army has now been deployed in parts of the state after the govt requested the same.
Day today

Curfew continued to remain in
force for the third day in almost all parts of the Kashmir
Valley as Army staged a flag march in the city warning people
not to violate the prohibitory orders.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today reviewed the
situation with senior officials of the bureaucracy and police
and discussed the possibility of curfew relaxation tomorrow
because of Friday prayers and for Shab-e-Mehraj, a religious
function, on Saturday.

It was decided that an on-the-spot assessment would be
made tomorrow depending upon the law and order situation in
the area, official sources said, adding they also discussed
whether to continue flag marches by the Army or not.

Additional forces of eight companies (800 personnel)
sought by the state also arrived this evening and were
immediately deployed in trouble areas of the city.

In a related development, Centre has sent out a tough
message that "anti-nationals and vested interests" creating
unrest in the valley would be dealt with sternly.

Omar has also convened an all-party meeting in Srinagar
on Monday to discuss present situation.

During the day, Ganderbal, in the outskirts of the city,
witnessed a protest of a different nature when students
gathered on road complaining against delay in setting up a
Central University in that district. The protesters dispersed
after a mild-lathi charge.

In Chadoora, in Budgam district, people attempted to
come on the roads but had to beat a hasty retreat when
security forces resorted to cane-charging.

The curfew restrictions forced the local media persons
to stay indoors. Newspapers may not hit the stands tomorrow
for the second day.

Sopore town and old parts of Baramulla were placed
under curfew as a precautionary measure, official sources

Curfew was also being enforced strictly in Srinagar,
where three persons were killed in alleged firing by security
forces on Tuesday.

-PTI inputs