Situation in Keran sector a cause for concern: Hurriyat chief
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Monday expressed concern over the border tension between India and Pakistan especially in Keran sector and called for necessary measures to defuse the situation.
"The prevailing border situation between India and Pakistan especially in Keran sector is a cause for grave concern. The leadership of both the countries should exhibit political maturity and take necessary measures to avoid any confrontation," Mirwaiz said addressing a religious function here.
He urged the two countries to involve their respective Director General of Military Operations to take stock of the ground situation for de-escalation.
"This situation is no way helpful in restoration of peace, prosperity and development in the region," he said.
Referring to the situation in Keran sector, Mirwaiz said the people living there are facing tremendous hardships.
Army had launched an operation a fortnight ago against holed up militants in Keran Sector along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir.
Mirwaiz also urged people to come forward to root out social evils.
"People from all walks of life especially religious preachers and intellectuals should come forward and render their services to curb social evil instead of providing lip service only," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics