Situation in Keran sector a cause for concern: Hurriyat chief
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Monday expressed concern over the border tension between India and Pakistan especially in Keran sector and called for necessary measures to defuse the situation.
"The prevailing border situation between India and Pakistan especially in Keran sector is a cause for grave concern. The leadership of both the countries should exhibit political maturity and take necessary measures to avoid any confrontation," Mirwaiz said addressing a religious function here.
He urged the two countries to involve their respective Director General of Military Operations to take stock of the ground situation for de-escalation.
"This situation is no way helpful in restoration of peace, prosperity and development in the region," he said.
Referring to the situation in Keran sector, Mirwaiz said the people living there are facing tremendous hardships.
Army had launched an operation a fortnight ago against holed up militants in Keran Sector along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir.
Mirwaiz also urged people to come forward to root out social evils.
"People from all walks of life especially religious preachers and intellectuals should come forward and render their services to curb social evil instead of providing lip service only," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 1st Test, Day 1 – Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- Mobile, internet services restored in Jammu, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley
- GST expectations buoy equity markets; Sensex trading at 28,121
- Four Pakistan-backed terrorists killed, 1 apprehended in J&K's Naugam, encounter on
- National Museum gets new chief and he has an Ayodhya connection