Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after fresh snowfall
Srinagar: Non-stop rain and snowfall on Tuesday triggered landslides on the Srinagar-Jammu highway in Jammu and Kashmir forcing closure of the vital road link for traffic.
A traffic department official here said incessant rain in Panthal, Digdol and some other places triggered landslides and falling boulders.
"Besides, there has been fresh snowfall in the Banihal area. The highway shall remain closed for vehicular traffic today (Tuesday).”
"Travellers must contact the traffic control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu to find out the latest update about resumption of traffic," the officer said.
The over-300-km-long highway is the landlocked Kashmir Valley`s only road connection with the rest of the country.
All essential supplies reach the Valley through this highway. Unscrupulous traders in the Valley often indulge in hoarding and profiteering following temporary or prolonged closure of the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley