Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after fresh snowfall
Srinagar: Non-stop rain and snowfall on Tuesday triggered landslides on the Srinagar-Jammu highway in Jammu and Kashmir forcing closure of the vital road link for traffic.
A traffic department official here said incessant rain in Panthal, Digdol and some other places triggered landslides and falling boulders.
"Besides, there has been fresh snowfall in the Banihal area. The highway shall remain closed for vehicular traffic today (Tuesday).”
"Travellers must contact the traffic control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu to find out the latest update about resumption of traffic," the officer said.
The over-300-km-long highway is the landlocked Kashmir Valley`s only road connection with the rest of the country.
All essential supplies reach the Valley through this highway. Unscrupulous traders in the Valley often indulge in hoarding and profiteering following temporary or prolonged closure of the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics