Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after fresh snowfall
Srinagar: Non-stop rain and snowfall on Tuesday triggered landslides on the Srinagar-Jammu highway in Jammu and Kashmir forcing closure of the vital road link for traffic.
A traffic department official here said incessant rain in Panthal, Digdol and some other places triggered landslides and falling boulders.
"Besides, there has been fresh snowfall in the Banihal area. The highway shall remain closed for vehicular traffic today (Tuesday).”
"Travellers must contact the traffic control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu to find out the latest update about resumption of traffic," the officer said.
The over-300-km-long highway is the landlocked Kashmir Valley`s only road connection with the rest of the country.
All essential supplies reach the Valley through this highway. Unscrupulous traders in the Valley often indulge in hoarding and profiteering following temporary or prolonged closure of the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3