Srinagar-Jammu highway closed after fresh snowfall
Srinagar: Non-stop rain and snowfall on Tuesday triggered landslides on the Srinagar-Jammu highway in Jammu and Kashmir forcing closure of the vital road link for traffic.
A traffic department official here said incessant rain in Panthal, Digdol and some other places triggered landslides and falling boulders.
"Besides, there has been fresh snowfall in the Banihal area. The highway shall remain closed for vehicular traffic today (Tuesday).”
"Travellers must contact the traffic control rooms in Srinagar and Jammu to find out the latest update about resumption of traffic," the officer said.
The over-300-km-long highway is the landlocked Kashmir Valley`s only road connection with the rest of the country.
All essential supplies reach the Valley through this highway. Unscrupulous traders in the Valley often indulge in hoarding and profiteering following temporary or prolonged closure of the highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi